Resting in the Hospital
Last Wednesday morning we tended my nephew Kaden until Jess (my sis-in-law) got off work. Kaden was his usual rowdy, energentic two-year old self all morning. After Kaden went home with his mommy he was still just being "Kaden", but Jess started to notice he was feeling warm. They watched him all afternoon as his fever went up and down, and gave him some medicine to help manage it. When they all headed to bed they gave Kaden an ice bath to help keep his core temp. down.The fever kept spiking and around 11:30 that night Kaden stopped breathing. Luckily Abe was still awake and realized that Kado wasn't breathing. Abe woke Jess up and told her. Kaden started going into a seizure for about 30 seconds (which i'm sure felt like an eternity to his parents). After Abe continually did CPR on him he still wasn't breathing so Abe gave him a priesthood blessing and right away he started to breath. He finally started to come to. As they were outside waiting for the ambulance the first personell on the seen was a motorcycle cop...When Kaden heard him pull up he lightly stated "vroom, vroom" (He is an avid moty lover, thanks to uncle Isaac and Jake) Abe said when he heard him do that he knew he was going to be okay. When the fire department got there they took his temp and it was 105.1!! They took him to the hospital and got an IV and meds in him. By three in the morning they were released from the hospital.
The reason i share this story is because this is the second time it has happened in my in-laws family. (it happened to their uncles little year and a half old, maggie). The doctors say it is becoming more common in children two and under.
So...WHAT WAS IT: He had a Febrile Seizure...this is when a child gets a tempurature that rises so rapidly and quickly and their little brain doesn't have enough insulation so their body doesn't know how to handle it and they are thrown into a seizure.
I wanted to make an awarness post about this because the doctor in the ER said this was becoming more and more common. It was a good thing that Abe and Jess were with Kaden when he stopped breathing because there have been many cases of this where the parents will give the child some tylenol for the fever and then put them to bed. Then the breathing stops and they have a seizure in the middle of the night and the parents wake up in the morining and their child is gone. SO, if you have a toddler with a high fever...WATCH THEM VERY CLOSELY!!!
I love my little Skipper and i dont know what we would have done if we would have lost him. Life is so precious and fragile. Our Father in Heaven has the ability to call any one of us home at any time. I am so thankful for the priesthood and that Abe was worthy to give skipper a blessing! We love you little man and are so glad that you are still here with us!!!
6 comments:
Oh wow Chels. I'm so glad he's okay, but how scary!
Wow Chels that is so scary I am so glad he is okay. I don't know what I would do if something like that happened to one of my boys. Thanks for the information good to know. I will watch my kids more closely when they have a fever. Hope you guys are doing good and that sweet baby of yours.
thats so sad but its good hes ok! keep strong kaydo!! love ya skip
Hey Chelsee I added you to my blog, hope thats ok!
Chelsea!! I'm so glad I found your blog. Now I can keep up on your life and your cute little Graham. I was so sad that I didn't even know you had a baby until I saw you at Abby's shower. I'm glad we can keep in touch now. Thanks for sharing that story. I'm glad everything turned out well.
I just tagged you with "THE AWARD" so go onto my blog, read a little more about me and then add "THE AWARD" to your blog and tell us a little more about you. Make sure to keep this tag going and tag 7 of your other friends you'd like to know more about.
Post a Comment